Billings Farm Museum

One day, on a sunny, windy Wednesday, you could hear the sheep bleating, the chicks peeping, the cow mooing, the horses whinnying, and one more thing . . . . children asking questions!

“Sheep are used for wool and meat,” the expert said.  “We will be going into the sheep barn now.”

When we went into the barn, a child asked, “Who’s the big sheep?”

“Sven,” said another.

Then when I walked with two legs on the fence, we were allowed to pet the sheep, so I pet it.  It had hair neatly sheared off.  Mr. Davenport told me that he self-sheared himself.

Then we had to take a wagon ride.  I sat on the seat that was closest to the front.

Then we had to go to the cow barn.  One pooped and laid down right in it.  We got to see a cow named Blessing.  It was named after our teacher.

Then we had to go to the sheep barn again, but this time to see chicks.  The chicks were very soft.  We had to be in a line.  While I was waiting, I pet the sheep and looked at them.

Next, we had lunch and recess.  We went to a movie room next.  We weren’t going to watch a movie, but we got to do chores and we got to play with games that they would have played with in the olden days.

We next got to make butter.  I got to stir.  We also got to paint with stencils.